Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Kaleidoscope quilt finished

So I kicked the dog off and finished the binding. I think it turned out well (I picked most of the fur off. There is a LOT of fur in our house, it's kind of disgraceful).



I am pleased with the light, clear colours, I think it makes it quite pretty. I was concerned that the light prints are quite limited - there are only three or four when normally I like dozens of different ones - but it doesn't seem to matter. I called this quilt "Rambling, incoherent and content-free" ... let's just say I've been having a few conversations at work that are not quite as productive as they could be. I'm so pleased I decided to start naming my quilts - it makes them much easier to identify when you want a family member to fetch you one because you are cold on the sofa - and it gives me a little creative outlet.



Here's another photo of the quilt because I like it so much. The optical illusion of circles is not as marked in other ones I've seen in this pattern - I don't know if it's because there are so many colours, or if it's because my points don't match well enough to make the links. Probably a bit of both! Speaking of cold, Canberra has started autumn with crispy mornings and clear skies. Or they would be clear if the fire service wasn't back burning up in the hills. Smoky, but spectacular at night.



Here is a close up of the circles I quilted. I don't know if I'd do it again because it got quite tedious after a while, but it's nice to have another option up your sleeve. And it let me avoid the point at the middle of the block where all those seams meet - see how the circles go around them! I think it would have broken the needle if I'd tried to quilt through them.

2 comments:

  1. rambling, incoherent, and content free... hmm, describes my coworkers to a tee. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely! Organised and yet apparently spontaneous.

    I love the idea of you reclining on a sofa and your family rushing to bring you quilts. Doesn't happen so much here...

    ReplyDelete