Thursday, February 5, 2015

Selvages

I've been cutting off the selvages from my quilting fabric and collecting it for a while now, so I thought I would have a go at making them into something. There's a few different ways you can do it, but I went with sewing it flat onto a foundation square of fabric. It means there are visible stitching lines, but it reduces the bulk of seams. Each one overlaps the raw edge of the previous one, and I stitch on the selvage.



It's still pretty solid though. I don't know if I'll be able to quilt through it, but that's OK, it can be tied. When I was trimming them off I left a half inch or so of the base fabric, so it's not as elegant as some of the ones you see which are purely white or cream with just the writing or colour spots. But I like the stripey effect. It uses a lot of selvage though - I had a whole big bag of them and it will probably only make about twenty blocks (8" square, trimmed). So a long term project I think. This shows the back .. it's a peach-coloured dust ruffle!! They just keep on giving.


The first week of school is going smoothly - the boys are settled into their schools now so I wouldn't have expected dramas. Some new teachers and some old teachers, which is good, and they were happy to see all their friends again. I walked the dog down to meet them at the shops yesterday which both the kids and the dog thought was pretty awesome! Here is Mishka happy as anything to be where there are people, especially little people, and other dog butts to sniff.


See all the leaves and little branches? There are flocks of corellas that sit in the trees and snap their way along the branches. Nature's pruning I suppose, but it makes a hell of a mess. And it rains down on you while you wait.

1 comment:

  1. too funny about the corellas! we used to have a squirrel that would sit in our pecan tree and eat the nuts, but throw the shells down on you if you were under his tree!

    ReplyDelete