Saturday, November 17, 2012

Wellington, so awesome

OK, awesome except for the weather, which is a bit changeable. This morning the sunshine had gone and the wind and rain and clouds swept in. The hills are so tall that they sit up in the low clouds. Bleak!



I took this one a few days ago - Wellington loves a bit of public art. Large kina sculptures being lowered carefully into place ... and why not. A kina is a sea urchin - a couple of inches across, and apparently good to eat, although it's one of the few things you can dig out of the sea that I've never eaten. When we were kids and someone got a really short haircut we used to call it a "kina cut" because it was all spiky and ugly. Bit cruel in hindsight, but I do like the sculptures.


And you know the quilt I made a couple of months ago and called "Helen Clark"? Well look who I got to listen to this week! The lady herself ... and I even got a few moments of chitchat with her beforehand. I am going to call my next quilt "Hillary Clinton" or possibly even "George Clooney"! A bit optimistic?

1 comment:

  1. good luck with conjuring up george clooney - let me know how that works! haha. i found the sea urchin sculpture interesting and had to laugh at the mental picture of someone with a bad hair cut!

    ReplyDelete