Friday, June 8, 2012

Liberation

When I finished Tracks I wasn't quite sure what to do next … normally I have so many projects in my head that picking one is the least of my worries. But this time I stalled a bit. So I did what I usually do when I stall - pick up Gwen Marston! In this case, Liberated Quiltmaking II. And I made a wonky nine-patch.


I find Gwen Marson's books unfailingly inspirational. I think it might be because it covers such a range of styles - you can be very painterly in solids, or modern with bold prints, or traditional with civil war prints, or all of them together. I like that she hand quilts much of her stuff. I also like that it's about the right fabric, or the most interesting fabric - not about matching fabric or fabric lines. The text always gives you permission to try out what you think should work, and then be comfortable with the result.


I think the check and the border print are from the same line of fabrics because they go so beautifully together. The colours are exact. I cut the selvedges off before I could check though, so we'll probably never know! I bought them separately, so it must just be a happy co-incidence. I'm going to big stitch this one as well, it's fun.

1 comment:

  1. so cool! really thinking out of the box for this quilt and i love it!

    ReplyDelete