Wednesday, April 11, 2012

This is on MY bed

I'm linking up with Bonnie's "What's on YOUR Bed" linky party - it's not pretty (it's certainly not tidy) but it's real! I can guarantee I have never shown this utility quilt before, it's crumb blocks, sashed in some dodgy green print, and squiggle machine quilted. It's big and warm and belongs on our bed ... And the cats love it (but they are very broad in their quilt tastes, in fact I don't think I've ever made a quilt they didn't like). They look a bit perturbed here because I pulled the quilt slightly straighter. Can you tell?

You know the dodgiest thing about this thrown-together masterpiece? The light-purple cornerstone fabric has some metallic highlights, which I knew when I made it, but it also has some GLOW IN THE DARK flecks. Who would have thought of that? The first night it was on the bed, there was just a ghostly hint of flourescence. I couldn't figure out what on earth it was.

This is the only quilt on my husband's side of the bed, because he is a warm blooded creature. I am, apparently, a reptile, and need a lot more quilts than that. I dragged Crossbow up from the cupboard last night because it got down to 1 degree, and I've had this pink and purple peculiar number on the bed for a few weeks now. I made it before I realised that quilting fabric is quite good for quilts, and you don't have to pay $30 a metre for it if you shop online, and I think that cream is a polyester poplin. And some strange hand quilting there.


It's been washed and dried a few times now. My bed is designed for comfort rather than style...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your comfort quilts! Like you I also use more than one on my side of the bed... there is a store bought queen sized wedding ring that I leave folded in half and use only over my side b/c my husband is warm blooded.

    Hope that you have a great week! Love from Indiana! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete