Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Design wall Monday - holy half square triangles, Batman!

When Bonnie put "600 half square triangles" on the latest step of the mystery quilt I nearly fell off my chair - HOW MANY???? But this is exactly why I'm enjoying the mystery quilt - if I had the whole pattern in front of me I would have discarded it before starting as Far Too Hard. But now I've spent hours doing the string blocks I'm not stopping!!! There will be HSTs!!


Actually it's not taking too long at all. I use the eight-at-a-time method with 6" squares then cut into eight and trim them back to 2". With 6" squares I can get seven across a width of fabric (I'm using random yardage, I don't have that many red or neutral scraps left) so I'm doing them in blocks of 56 and I'm up to 224! So nearly half way.


This isn't really a "design wall" as such because I don't know how they're going to go together! It's a mystery:) But I am enjoying spreading them out on the floor and seeing how pretty and scrappy all the bits and bobs look. I cannot figure out how they will go together though ... but my trust in Bonnie is complete...





3 comments:

  1. I had too many things going to start this mystery. But one of my favorite quilts was Bonnie's Orange Crush Mystery. Can't wait to see it put together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I'm behind a couple of steps and won't be able to catch up until after we return from our rambling, but I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 600 HSTs. I think your profile picture says it all.

    ReplyDelete